Yes, that same Amazon that is now a household name. They occasionally hire work from home customer service associates.
I've heard that you hire people to work from home as Customer Service Associates--is that true?They list the job openings in their Taleo job search which is the link I posted above. Just do a search for "Customer Service" - the work from home positions are clearly labeled as such. It looks like they are seasonal positions, but they hire within specific states which vary. Below I will copy a sample of one of the job descriptions. This particular sample is for Oregon residents.
Amazon does sometimes have openings for Customer Service Associates to work from home. Whether or not you are eligible to work from home for Amazon depends on the tax laws where you live. You can click on this link to see if there are any CSA positions available in your area (both in-person and virtual).
In preparation for one our busiest time of year – Amazon North American Customer Service is now hiring SEASONAL Work from Home Customer Service Associates in Oregon. There are no sales and no schemes, and you can work from home in your pajamas (really, we don’t mind!) solving customer issues via phone, email, and chat.
Your mission – should you choose to accept it – is to solve problems, answer questions, and resolve concerns presented by our Amazon customers. Our customers contact us by primarily by phone and we hope you can help us deliver customer obsessed results.
Amazon offers a competitive base pay and bonus opportunity, time off, some shift flexibility (shift swaps, flex scheduling), an employee discount, and dedicated resources to support your ongoing growth and development.
All you need to get started is talent and customer obsession, a home computer with high speed internet, an analog phone line, and a dedicated, distraction free home workspace.
- We’ll prompt you to run a quick, online computer diagnostic to ensure your home computer meets our technical requirements for the job. We respect your privacy, and are only checking for the following technical requirements (and we’re sorry, but we don’t support laptops, Macs or Linux for this role):
- Base pay is $11.00/hour. Plus – think of the money you’ll save on gas, work clothes, and dining out when you work from home!
- Seasonal employees may remain with Amazon in a temporary capacity for up to six months, depending on business need. There may be opportunities for regular long term employment.
- Both full and part time opportunities are available, but hours for all staff increase substantially during our peak season (Thanksgiving through mid-January). A few weeks before and after December 25 is our busiest time.
- We’ll usually ask full timers to work overtime above 40 hours for a few weeks
- We’ll usually ask part timers who typically work 20-29 hours per week to scale up to 30-40 hours during this time
- Our Virtual Contact Center is open from 5AM – 11PM Pacific Standard Time. Some level of schedule flexibility is required and expected, as available shifts include days, afternoons, and evenings, typically one or both weekend days, and occasional overtime.
- If you’re a student, we’ll do our best to work around your school schedule.
- Flexible schedules are available for those who want the option. You can build the schedule that best matches your personal needs with the coverage we need in order to provide excellent service to our customers!
- It is highly likely that as a new hire, you’d start off on a late afternoon or evening shift, and will work at least one weekend day.
- 1+ years prior Customer Service Experience
- High School Diploma
- Must pass criminal background check
- Excellent computer skills; strong familiarity with Microsoft Office, email, chat, and the Internet
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to participate in and successfully complete, initial mandatory training (M-F for an average of 3 weeks). All training is completed from home!
- Ability to take any shift Sunday through Saturday from 5:00am to 11:00pm in your local time zone (set schedules will be assigned on your first day of work). Please note that most shifts for new hires will be evening shifts and will include one or both weekend days.
- Be able to attend an onsite new hire orientation in Salem, OR
Work from Home Office/Technology requirements:
- Your home address must be in the state of Oregon. Any applicants with home addresses outside of Oregon will not be considered.
- Have a desktop PC meeting the aforementioned technology requirements (No laptops or Macs)
- Have (or be able to obtain) Ethernet High Speed Internet (5mb/s download speed or better) from a reliable provider. Wireless internet is not permissible.
- Have (or be able to obtain) a dedicated analog telephone land line from a reliable carrier (must be installed before you can start)
- Secure, dedicated, and distraction-free home workspace (free from background noise and interruptions, i.e. spouse, children, roommate, pets, TV, etc.) for your entire shift
- Another means of communication (personal landline or cell phone, for emergency purposes only)
- Associate’s degree or higher
- 3+ years' experience as a customer service professional
- Prior experience working independently in a virtual environment
- Strong familiarity with online shopping and internet research