Quicktate and iDictate actively hires independent contractor transcriptionists to transcribe messages and memos and the like. From the website:
We transcribe voicemail messages, memos, letters and other documents. The voicemail message files average 1-2 minutes in length, while the other recordings are typically longer.Their requirements don't seem unreasonable. There are a few agreements to sign and a test or two to take. Nothing out of the ordinary. Quicktate is one of those jobs that one could consider filler work, or in-between work. As for pay, which I know you are all curious about, here are the details:
- General and Legal Transcription $0.0025 per word (one-fourth cent per word).
- Medical Transcription $0.005 per word (one-half cent per word). HIPAA compliance required.
- How You Are Paid: PayPal - Create Paypal account at https://www.paypal.com/
- Forms: Fill out our online Form W-9
- When You are Paid: payments are weekly - on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday, if a payday falls on a holiday, payment will be made on the next business day.
- Idle Count-down Timer: If you stop typing for 90 seconds, the file will automatically disappear from your screen and be assigned to another typist and they will get credit for the entire assignment. Please make sure that you only accept files you have time to finish. You can determine at the onset if a file is long or short based on the speed of the voice bar. If you don't have time for a particular file, click "skip".
- Word Limits: Many files tell you the maximum number of words to type. Never exceed the number of words shown. You will not be paid for anything beyond the limit, and customer will not receive anything you type beyond the limit. -- https://quicktate.zendesk.com/entries/363061-financial-matters
I can't speak on how regular the work is, but like I said, this is more of a filler job. I hear that the more work you do and the longer you are logged into the system, the more work you will receive. You may also get an invite to do work for iDictate as well, which is a step up.
All you need is a computer and probably some headphones to hear the audio better. You can start by going to http://typists.quicktate.com/transcribers/signup and please read ALL of the instructions and follow them explicitly. I'm not just saying that because it's good practice, I hear that Quicktate is quick to let you go if you can't follow the rules :)